If facing this decision, the following questions will help in making a safe and educated decision:
1. If the hired caregiver becomes ill or otherwise unavailable, what alternate arrangements can be made?
2. Are social security, federal and state taxes, and unemployment insurance paid so the family is not legally responsible?
3. Is there verification that the paid caregivers can legally work in the US?
4. If the hired caregiver is injured, who is responsible? Remember than many homeowners’ insurance policies exclude such injuries via “domestic employee exclusions.”
5. Are criminal history background checks, state abuse registry checks, and prior work reference checks completed?
6. Is there bonding and insurance in place that would cover any injury to the client, damage, or theft? When an agency says they are “bonded”, family members should be sure that this covers injury or damages related to the caregiver(s) working in the home.
7. Assuming family is not available to supervise paid caregivers at all times, will there be documentation that substantiates the completion of services?
About Cleansing Water, Inc.
Cleansing Water, Inc. is a Warrenton, Virginia home health care agency offering professional geriatric care and serving seniors, individuals recovering from surgery, individuals with long-term disabilities, and other clients throughout Fauquier, Culpeper, Gainesville, Haymarket, Middleburg, Prince William, Rappahannock and other Piedmont Virginia communities. We provide in-home companions, certified nursing assistants, and geriatric care managers to assist with the tasks of daily living, monitor health and medications, and ensure clients are well cared for, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
For more information about Cleansing Water’s short-term and long-term home health care services, Call (540) 341-0212 or our toll-free number, (866) 294-4665, to schedule a consultation and discuss your geriatric care and home health care options. You can also visit CleansingWater.com for more information.