Are you having trouble getting enough sleep at night?
A good night’s sleep is not just a luxury; it’s good for your health.
Here are six good reasons to get more sleep:
- You’ll live longer. Chronic insomniacs are more likely to suffer a heart attack than those who sleep well.
- You’ll look better. There’s a reason why we call a good night’s sleep “a beauty rest.”
- You’ll be slimmer. Women who slept five hours or fewer per night were 32 percent more likely to experience weight gain over 16 years.
- You’ll be sharper. Lack of sleep ages your brain by four to seven years.
- You’ll improve your marriage. Women who have trouble sleeping have more negative interactions with their husbands the next day than those who don’t.
- You’ll be nicer. Exhaustion takes a toll on our spirits and can make us short-tempered.
How to Get a Better Night’s Sleep
If you are having trouble sleeping at night, here are some simple steps you can take that might help:
- Avoid large meals before bedtime.
- Avoid drinking coffee or other caffeinated drinks.
- Get regular exercise early in the day.
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Don’t take naps.
- Use the bed only for sleep or sexual activity.
If you can’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed and do a quiet activity such as reading or listening to music.
Avoid using sleeping pills to help you sleep, if possible. Excessive use of sleeping pills can lead to dependence and worsen your sleep problems.
Cleansing Water, Inc. provides professional in-home health care services to seniors and other individuals in and around Warrenton, Virginia. We are a licensed and insured home health care agency serving individuals throughout the Piedmont Virginia region, including Culpeper County, Fauquier County, Loudoun County, Prince William County, and Rappahannock County. For more information, call (540) 341-0212 or visit CleansingWater.com.